Networker

Re: [Networker] Permissions only restore/reset

2008-10-06 09:25:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Permissions only restore/reset
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 08:23:36 -0500
Hello,
Not aware of nsrib, but in windows , there is a product such as "security
explorer" that essentially can capture the permission's and do a restore.
Also look into "secure copy" this product would be able to restore
permission's if the original location was intact and you were doing a
replication\mass copy, but only want to copy permission and not the data.
HTH

Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
10/03/2008 03:40 PM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Permissions only restore/reset

In regard to: [Networker] Permissions only restore/reset, Browning,
David...:

> Someone told me that a competitor product had a "permissions" restore
> process, where instead of restoring files, it would simply reset
> permissions on all files on a given server/directory.
>
> Has anyone heard of this before? If so, does Networker have a version of
> this option?

The NetWorker client for NetWare has had this ability for years.  I'm not
aware of that feature being available for the other supported client OSes.

In theory, it might be possible to "roll your own" version of this feature
by doing some scripting with either recover or uasm.  AFAICT, nsrinfo
doesn't expose enough information to be able to use it to get the
necessary info about each object that was backed up.

Anyone else miss the "nsrib" command?  Scripting a permissions restore
using that would have been very easy.

Tim
edu
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure                  701-231-1076
(Voice)

type