Networker

Re: [Networker] Library Sharing

2008-09-26 08:55:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Library Sharing
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 07:49:05 -0500
Hello,
DDS and Lib Sharing ( partitioning) are all different.
In your case, if the Lib is Fiber attached, you would typically zone two
drive each to the Storage node and so forth.
Jbconfig   will prompt you for Tape paths and you would supply the path to
the drives on the SN servers.
Library sharing or partitioning completely isolates  two partitions on the
same physical lib and allows you to divide up the hardware, the problem
with that is that you may not have enough hardware resources to achieve
maximum usability, however, lets say if you have two networker zones or if
you have two dissimilar applications i.e TSM & Networker, then
partitioning makes sense.
Partitioning is employed so easily in VTL world, i.e one to production
server, other to the test.
DDS on other hand is sharing of devices within same networker zone, unless
you carefully plan your environment and make sure you don't run into
resource shortage, DDS can be a limitation, i.e you are bound to run into
conflicts when serverA and ServerB both want to use the DDS drives and one
of them has to wait ( therefore prolonging your backup cycle), & the
problem gets worse as the same physical drive is shared among multiple
servers, i am not a big fan of DDS.
HTH

Peter Hand <Peter.Hand AT NT.GOV DOT AU>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
09/25/2008 09:44 PM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
Peter.Hand AT NT.GOV DOT AU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Library Sharing

Hi All,
      I've been trying to find out if Library Sharing and DDS are the same
thing. The doco is patchy (an understatement) but seems to indicate they
are
not.

Specifically I'm considering setting up a (new) storage node in our
datazone and
dedicating a tape drive or 2 from our library to it. I'm not interested in
sharing the drive with other storage nodes or the networker server  - it
will be
kept busy enough. So can I do this ? and will the networker server (which
controls the robot) still be able to change tapes for the drives dedicated
the new storage node ?

Cheers,   Pete.
--
  Technical Team Lead: Unix