Networker

Re: [Networker] Oracle Backups w/o rman

2008-09-24 16:34:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Oracle Backups w/o rman
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:29:46 -0700
Darren,

My script doesn't actually move them around, just renames them to
.noskip.Xsr and another script renames them back.  Also, I place all of
the directives are in one file and explicitly name each file to be
skipped.  I have another script to copy that master directive file to
the proper locations when modifications are made.  In general I don't
want to disable any other .nsr directive files I may have in place so
the -i method is not one I would use.

Part of the reason we do things the way we do is that we've been using
Networker and Oracle this way since 1995 and it's easier to just
continue what we've been doing.  On the Windows systems where we have
the same situation with Exchange & SQL Servers I simply have the
directives set up in the Networker server and have multiple definitions
of the clients that use the directives or not depending on the backup
I'm performing.  I suppose I could do the same thing with the Solaris
system and Oracle but old habits die hard.

So, on Friday (our fiscal month end) I'll come to work late and starting
about 7:00 PM I'll shut down the Exchange server, the SQL Servers and
Oracle and run the cold backup of all of those systems.  When that's
done around midnight I'll restart the servers and kick off the month end
backup of the rest of our servers and go home.

Dave Werth
Garmin AT, Inc.
Salem, Oregon