Networker

Re: [Networker] Oracle Backups w/o rman

2008-09-24 14:07:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Oracle Backups w/o rman
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:00:32 -0500
Hi,
You may be able to apply directive to backup folders then skip files .But
that may be expensive way to document folder structure as you are burning
a backup licence, if the structure do not change that often may be you can
look into simple windows\unix script to pipe the directory structure to a
file on the central location and back that up.
HTH

"Yard, John" <jyard AT AIS.UCLA DOT EDU>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
09/24/2008 12:33 PM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
"Yard, John" <jyard AT AIS.UCLA DOT EDU>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Oracle Backups w/o rman

I have a Legato 7.4.1 system
on AIX 5.3 which backups up a
number of Oracle databases.

Our strategy is to backup the Oracle
databases to disk , then backup the
Oracle backup os files to tape, then
delete the oracle backups.

In addition we backup the os filesystems
to tape . If I backup the oracle
file systems to Legato I will have a
massive duplication of data. Since Oracle
is not being terminated, these backups are
not valid for recovery, yet I need a structure
for the dba to recover into if we were to lose
a disk.

I am sure there is documentation in
respect to this issue, can this group
suggest some starting points ? Comments ?

Thank You,

JYard
UCLA

type