Networker

Re: [Networker] recover a tape?

2008-09-24 14:06:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] recover a tape?
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 18:03:09 +0000
On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 12:29:34PM -0500, Browning, David wrote:
> I think I know the answer to this, but just want to make sure.
>
> Is there a way to recover (via scanner, or something similar) a tape
> that someone accidentally overwrote a new label on?   In theory, the
> data is still on the tape, it just has a new label.

If the data could be read, 'scanner' should work to dump the data into a
filesystem.

However, commercial drives don't make it easy to access data past the
last write (the new label in this case).

I've tried to do some hacks around this (powering down the drive during
a write so it doesn't create the EOF), but it didn't help me recover it.

A data recovery shop should have special drives that don't have that
limitation.

--
Darren