Networker

Re: [Networker] block-size question

2008-09-24 08:45:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] block-size question
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:50:27 +0100
Teresa Biehler wrote:
Hi everyone,

We've got a Solaris NW server.  We used to have several Windows storage
nodes which shared drives with our NW server.  Because of this, we set
the block-size for our tapes to be compatible across all platforms.
This meant that we reduced the block-size on the Solaris side to match
the Windows side.

Well, we no longer have the Windows storage nodes.  We now have a
Solaris storage node which shares drives with our Solaris NW server.  Is
it possible to increase the block-size?  Or will this make all our
existing tapes unreadable?

You can simply change this and it will still work. Your Solaris server will not have any problem reading tapes with a smaller block size since there are none of the issues that you would have had the other way round where there would have been insufficient buffer space.