Networker

Re: [Networker] Ubuntu Server and NetWorker Client Install

2008-09-23 21:36:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Ubuntu Server and NetWorker Client Install
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:34:47 -0400
I believe it is the action that was intended (the comments around that block of configuration clearly indicate it was put there by NetWorker and should not be deleted).

daemon.notice means that syslog is to watch for any program that sends it text that is classified in the "daemon" service at the "notice" level. Both of those are things the program sending the text gets to set. You can experiment by using the "logger" program on your Ubuntu system.

I assume that other than MySQL there isn't anything else that is using the daemon service and is sending text to syslog at the "notice" level. Few things send their normal messages at the "notice" level.

"notice" is the first sort of "hey something is kinda wrong" level. The "info" level (which is between "debug" and "notice") is the one that most programs use for all their informational messages.

Frank

JGillTech wrote:
Thanks, is this the intended action?  Further, what is daemon.notice?  By
routing daemon.notice to /nsr/logs/messages.... doesn't that mean other daemons
will be logged there?  Why does it cut off after mySQL launches?  The syslog in
/var/logs/ doesn't have the information when it does this.  Did I miss
something fundamental here?