Networker

[Networker] Solaris on SPARC vs x86

2008-09-15 20:06:41
Subject: [Networker] Solaris on SPARC vs x86
From: Yuri Pismerov <yura AT PISMEROV DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:50:29 -0400
Hello everybody,

I am exploring an option of migrating from an old (10 year old hardware) SUN Sparc based Legato server to a new hardware and I consider a x86 based machine (bought from Sun). Would this work out or I better stick with Sparc architecture? Considering we will also need to move our tape library (a Qualstar) to it. Also I don't have an access to EMC support at this point, but I'd like to know if changing architecture on the server will incur additional licensing costs. I've heard it would, but I need to confirm that.

Thanks in advance.