Networker

[Networker] Cloning speeds

2008-09-06 12:55:22
Subject: [Networker] Cloning speeds
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 12:52:45 -0400
cpreston wrote:
> Recently there was some discussion about VTLs and cloning.  In that
> discussion, a number of people seemed pretty happy with their cloning
> performance/speed.  This conflicted with what I usually hear, that
> cloning was slow and inefficient - and that's NOT just on NetWorker.
>

> What kinds of speeds are you getting with YOUR clones, and what are you
> cloning from and to?
>
> I'd REALLY like to hear about anyone cloning to LTO-3, LTO-4, or devices
> of similar speeds, especially if you're cloning from disk to tape.

Hi Curtis

We are 98% happy with our cloning environment.  We backup our open system
servers to 4 VTLs (a pair of clustered EMC DL740's, 2 engines each) that are
connected to a single ADIC i2000 with 12 LTO3 drives assigned to them.  We also
use the embedded storage node on each VTL, each of which has 4 virtual drives
assigned and 3 physical drives.  Our Networker server controls the robotics on
all of the libraries.  We routinely get transfer speeds of 120MB/s.

The only two areas where I'd like to see improvement is A) our FC switches need
to be replaced because we're seeing congestion (currently running three Brocade
Silkworm 3900's with ISLs as our tape SAN) when lots of clone jobs run, and B)
the nsrclone.exe does not support sending a single, large clone job to multiple
drives.  A) will hopefully be fixed this next budget cycle, and I'm going to
attempt to address B) with a more complicated script than the one we use now.

HTH, I'd be happy to elaborate if that would be useful....

-brerrabbit (and thank you for fixing my account issues!)