Networker

Re: [Networker] LTO tape drives on Linux

2008-09-04 13:28:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTO tape drives on Linux
From: "Clark, Patti" <clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 13:23:10 -0400

I have 2 systems (both are single server, multiple clients) running
under Linux, one small system with a small LTO-2 tape library with a
single IBM tape drive - something that I only recently discovered when
researching LTO-4.  As you can gather, no special drivers have been
installed.  The second system has a Quantum library with 3 HP LTO-2
drives.  Again, no special drivers.  I also have not used stinit.def on
either system.  The native drivers have performed well as the HBAs in
both cases are direct-attached SCSI.

We've been very happy with the LTO-2 tapes on Linux.  I've not had a
"bad" tape after nearly 4 years of ever expanding usage.  The number of
cleanings per drive has also been minimal.  We are currently in the
process of purchasing LTO-4 equipment which will all be IBM tape drives
in the Quantum libraries using fibre HBAs.  It'll be late October or
November before these systems are installed.  I'm sure that I'll have
some experiences to contribute after then. ;-)

Patti