Networker

[Networker] AFTD volume best practice: maximum size?

2008-08-27 22:25:17
Subject: [Networker] AFTD volume best practice: maximum size?
From: Alan Rubin <Alan.Rubin AT NT.GOV DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 11:52:18 +0930
Hello,

We are running NetWorker 7.3.3 on a T2000 with Solaris 10 08/07.  We use ZFS for
our AFTDs and we are able to grow them quite large.  We get our storage from a
SAN currently made up of an IBM DS4800 and a DS6800.  Our largest AFTD volume is
16.4TB, but we have been seeing "media emergency" errors in our logs and
encountering RPC errors on backups.  The OS reports no errors on the disk
devices, and ZFS sees no issues with the zpool.    If we do a full reset of
NetWorker we can get at least one good day out of the backups without issue - no
problems talking to the AFTD.  And we aren't having any issues with our smaller
AFTDs, also built on ZFS.  And no problems with our tape backups.  Even worse,
the backup session starts off the nightly backup with successful backups to the
AFTD in question before it starts failing.

So, is there a recommended maximum size for an AFTD and we've just gotten too
big?  Or, is this just more aggravation from NetWorker?  Can anyone shine any
light on this?

08/27/08 21:26:09 nsrd: media emergency: failed query for volume
59ce7256-00000005-f856596c-4756596c-00090000-9bcd4514, authentication type 0 not
adequate (1, 13)

Regards,

Alan Rubin
Technician Unix