Networker

[Networker] Exchange store/module backup waiting for a tape & bootstrap backup - cause exchange stores to go offline?

2008-08-27 17:45:06
Subject: [Networker] Exchange store/module backup waiting for a tape & bootstrap backup - cause exchange stores to go offline?
From: James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:40:07 -0400
Hi,

NW 7.4.2 Windows 2003 sp2 - NW exch module 5.1

Last night our exchange store backup ran out of tape(s). It seemed to
sit all day waiting for a tape per usual... until.... a NW
server/bootstrap backup took place, and it seems it  took the mail
stores offline in exchange... :(  (Ouch!)

Is this normal? I know a bootstrap backup needs clean access to
"everything", but I would think it would just kill the offending job, or
not run at all? (The bootstrap / nw server backup said it ran fine?)

The exchange job itself did not die on NW, it kept asking for tapes all
day long, until I killed the job manually, but the logs from the backup
job that failed don't mention anything crashing/broken on the exch
server/stores, or anything too out of the ordinary, outside of the usual
exchange logging goop.

Regards,
Jamie