Networker

[Networker] SV: [Networker] determine block size on a old tape ?

2008-08-27 03:56:27
Subject: [Networker] SV: [Networker] determine block size on a old tape ?
From: Hans Ericson <h.ericson AT MOREX DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:45:42 +0200
Hello and thanks Matthew,

I found that it had been written in 128 kb block size. I also found an
instruction an how to set ?maximum block size? from 64 kb to 128 kb (add
registry key).

CHANGING THE BLOCK SIZE:
1. Run REGEDIT (the Registry Editor)
2. open:
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\cpq32fs2 (cpq32fs2
should be replaced with your scsi card name)

3. Create a key named Parameters (if it doesn't exist) by selecting from the
menu:
Edit > New > Key and entering Parameters for Key Name.

4. Open the Parameters key and create a key named Device by selecting from
the menu:
Edit > New > Key and entering Device for Key Name.

5. Open the Device key and create a DWORD named MaximumSGList by selecting
from the menu:
Edit > New > DWORD and entering MaximumSGList for DWORD Name.

6. Open the MaximumSGList Value Name and replace the existing Value Data in
Decimal with one of the values from (Table 6)

Table 6. Block Sizes
Block Size Decimal Value Hex Value
64k 17 decimal 11 hex
96k 25 decimal 19 hex
128k 33 decimal 21 hex
256k 65 decimal 41 hex
512k 129 decimal 81 hex

If your block size is not listed, please use the above formula for the
decimal value:
MaximumSGList = (Maximum Block Size)/4K +1

7.  Close regedit and reboot the server.

8.  Run the mt command to confirm that the maximum block size has changed.

Sample: C:\>mt -f <\\.\Tape1> status

Problem solved :-)

Hans

  _____