Networker

Re: [Networker] Managing a NetWorker system

2008-08-21 20:45:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] Managing a NetWorker system
From: Will Aymond <Wilbur.Aymond AT SHELL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 19:41:36 -0500
Curtis,

I have my own way of working with these things.. I call it the "RPM Dashboard".

1. Roles and Responsibilities (i.e. OLAs and SLAs, contact lists for
onsite/offsite/local/foreign locations, on call procedures, etc.) - which as
far as tasks that are repeated go would be updating these regularly.
2. Processes and Procedures (pretty self explanatory here, and most of your
tasks listed below fall in this area, but I don't see documentation of these
tasks listed below, or hardware and software inventory, or license management,
or operationally what to do when there is a hardware failure -vendor callouts,
etc.)
3. Metrics and KPIs (you can tell I'm big on documentation and processes ;-)
this is closest to your #1 I guess.

>From the above you can easily get answers for the following in any IT
>environment:

1. What do I and the people I depend on do?
2. How do we do it?
3. How well do we do it?

-Hopefully you weren't just looking for operational tasks, otherwise you got a
little bit of extra information here. ;-)

Good luck,
 -Will Aymond