Networker

[Networker] recommendations for networker server upgrade

2008-08-21 10:38:28
Subject: [Networker] recommendations for networker server upgrade
From: anacreo <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 05:48:18 -0400
I also feel the need to stress ZFS's advantages for NetWorker...

1.8:1 compression on indexes (this has been fairly consistent)
Subblock allocation

We performed a 7.2 to 7.4.2 upgrade, with EMC PS on site.  We needed to redo
things several times because, we didn't get the Enabled code right (must do
this BEFORE the upgrade) and also the hardware wouldn't work right:
LTO drive firmware needed upgrade
4gb ports needed to be locked to 2gb to talk to LTO drives without errors, etc.

We used rsync to go from the old server to the new and we made a ZFS snapshot
BEFORE starting 7.4.2.  After the first failure we decided to try again the
next day and rsync starting transfering everything over again, 67gb.  What!?!
NetWorker 7.4.2 when you first start it re-writes the nsr file structure, so
rsync needed to do everything all over again.

zfs rolback,
rsync,
done.

Then we determined that we didn't have the enabler code.
zfs rollback
input enabled code on old box
rsync,
done.

Then we had hardware issues again...
repeat...

This saved us a bunch of time and would not have been able to be done on any
other environment.  Another foot note is we screwed up the rsync command a few
times and rollbacks helped us recover from that quickly.  The big negative...
restructuring my underlying disks within ZFS is nearly impossible, or just
removing a disk is impossible at the moment.

Alec Effrat