Networker

Re: [Networker] SaveSet recover question

2008-08-20 12:25:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] SaveSet recover question
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:20:51 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
08/20/2008 11:20:46 AM:

> Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT uvm DOT edu> wrote on 08/20/2008 10:02:50 AM:
>
> > Hello Michael,
> >
> >   I haven't paid close attention to all of your posts.  However, I
> > am wondering if you ran scanner on each tape individually, or if you
> > ran scanner once and changed the tapes as needed when it got to the
> > end of each one.
>
> No, I loaded all 4 tapes that were made on the day I wanted, and did a
> "scanner -i" on each tape, at the same time. I did not do it
sequentially
> (i.e., change tapes when it asked.) If I did it that way, I'd still be
> scanning tapes, as it takes about 3 hours each tape, and I have 4 or
more
> in the pool, each day.
>
> Tech support told me that was fine, as the media database will string
> everything together properly. And I have seen it work that way.

Further .. an mminfo shows the saveset, and what volumes they are on ...

mminfo -avot -c ~admnlts003-1 -r client,volume,name,savetime(22)
~admnlts003-1 01111927    E:\                             10/31/2007
7:00:13 PM
~admnlts003-1 897589      E:\                             10/31/2007
7:00:13 PM
~admnlts003-1 915742      E:\                             10/31/2007
7:00:13 PM

If I shows the "fragflags", it does know which volume has the "hb" (head),
"mb" (middle), and "tb" (tail) of the saveset.

So the index should be built properly ...