Networker

Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file

2008-08-20 07:46:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:41:38 -0400
On 8/19/08 11:46 PM, Preston de Guise wrote:
However, I certainly remain hopeful of seeing some changes to AFTD in NetWorker Real Soon Now, as it's starting to get annoying that we still can't:

- Run multiple stage operations
- Run multiple clone operations
- Failover a saveset from one DBU to another if it fills
- Better balance backups so that a small number of DBUs see a disproportionate number of backups due to 'archaic' tape based volume selection algorithms

I absolutely agree.

I also believe that we should be able to clone an SSID and perform a recover from that SSID at the same time.

The one unique item is the staging. This is really a clone (yes, it really does change the cloneid!) followed by the removal of the original copy from the AFTD. Here, EMC needs to break it up into two separate operations so that the clone portion will allow cuncurrent clones and recovers to happen from the same SSID -- and then when it gets to the deletion step wait for any current clones/recovers to finish while blocking new ones from using this copy (make them go after the new copy that was just written to the staging target).

It sounds simple -- but I realize that for EMC to do this, they need to move their locking logic from the volume level to the SSID level. As a programmer -- I realize that's a huge change. I have a sad suspicion that NetWorker may never be able to make that change. Because disk is so different from tape, it may be that someone has to develop new backup software that recognizes the backup target is a hard disk and from there it will be cloned and staged to tape (so recovers from tape have to work too) -- but the media management logic needs to address the best utilization of a hard disk. Of course, once someone does that.... VTLs will no longer be necessary or even desirable.