Networker

Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file

2008-08-19 23:49:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 23:27:33 -0400
If the VTLs I test could only supply data at 40 MB/s, I wouldn't recommend them
either.  The ability of a disk device to stream to tape is job #1, AFAIC.  Just
remember that not all VTLs are created equal.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not an AFTD hater.  I think they're fine for smaller
shops that want an easy solution.  But when I get to a larger shop, I need the
ability to make things go more concurrently, and I think it's possible to do
that with a VTL and VERY difficult to impossible to do it with an AFTD.

VTLs aren't the end-all-be-all, and some of them are crap.  (The same is true
of the disk systems behind a lot of AFTDs.)  They're also more management in a
SMALL NW environment than AFTDs.  But in a large environment, where
staging/cloning performance is king, I'll take a VTL any day.  Yes, I'll be
doing some scripting, but at least I can clone/destage multiple backups at the
same time.  That's NOT the case with an AFTD unless you make a bunch of them
and that creates other management hassles, and decreases disk utilization.

I think the concurrent restore thing is a red herring.  Sure, you can't do two
restores at once from a tape, but:

1. Most people don't do more than one restore a month, let alone more than one
a day, let ALONE two at the same time.
2. Add to that the odds that the two restores you do at the same time would
need the same tape at the same time. (Multiplexing would increase the chances,
but one should not multiplex to virtual tapes.)
3. If you want better odds, just use smaller virtual tapes.  It costs you
nothing, adds no management issues (like more AFTDs do), and significantly
decreases the chance that two restores would be grabbing for the same tape.

So, to summarize:
1. I think it's easier to destage multiple backups simultaneously from a VTL
than it is to do it from an AFTD, and that's something you do every night.
2. Performance counts.  If your device, regardless of type, can't stream your
tape drive type, you bought the wrong one.
3. Sure I can do concurrent restores from the same "tape" with AFTDs and I
can't with VTLs, but I don't think that happens much and if it does I can
address it with smaller virtual tape sizes.

Isn't healthy discussion fun?

Curtis Preston  |  VP Data Protection
GlassHouse Technologies, Inc.

T: +1 760 710 2004 |  C: +1 760 419 5838 |  F: F: +1 760 710 2009
cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com |  www.glasshouse.com
Infrastructure :: Optimized