Networker

Re: [Networker] media retention

2008-08-18 17:21:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] media retention
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:15:27 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] media retention, MIchael Leone said (at...:

EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
08/18/2008 04:03:59 PM:

I've been asked to extend the retention of a some backups, however
this equates to hundreds of ssid's.  Is it possible to extend the
retention of the media as opposed to the ssid, thus making my life
easier.  I've read the manuals but they all seem to point to ssid's.

How about:

do am mminfo, listing the ssids in question; save to file. Write script to
read the ssids from the file, and reset the retention that way.

I've done that Windows, so it should be even easier in Unix.

Assuming the savesets haven't already passed browse (or retention), it is
very easy.  I've done this many times (usually I do it to delete savesets,
not change their browse or retention).

First, get your mminfo command worked out, so that the query returns just
the savesets you're really interested in changing.  Once you have the
query worked out, change what's reported (output) to be just ssid, and
run that in a loop, passing the ssid to nsrmm:

for s in `mminfo -q 'client=whatever,savetime>=05/01/2008' -r ssid`
do
        echo $s
        echo nsrmm -e '1 week' -y -S $s
done

change the mminfo query and the retention time to match what you need.

When you're certain that's going to be running the commands you want it
to, just recall the command from your shell history and remove the
"echo" in front of the nsrmm.

Tim
edu