Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.4 SP2 - How to start over

2008-08-12 10:23:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.4 SP2 - How to start over
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:16:34 -0500
Hello,
You should have plan in mind, i.e Browse policy, retention, cloning,
backup window, directives & operational aspect to name the least.
To test and get familiar with the install, you can use a fresh install of
Legato on a spare server in the Lab, this should give you 30-45 days to be
familiar with it ( no licence's required), you can re-image and re-install
Legato as many time as you like, ideally, it would be good to have a stand
alone LTO3 Tape drive, if the environment are isolated you can do mmrecov
( Dr Guide).
If you do not have spare server , you can use any available Desktop.
If not, just use AFTD  or any available Tape device to test some backups,
client install, recover etc.
HTH

JGillTech <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
08/11/2008 11:24 PM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Networker 7.4 SP2 - How to start over

OS Platform:  Windows Server 2003 R2 (x86)
Networker Configuration:  Server and Storage Node on Same Server
Backup Device:  Quantum Scalar 50 with 40 slots (2x LTO-3 drives)
Backup cycles:  Weekly full, daily incremental

I bugeted about 8 days to reconfigure this system from a clean install.  I
only have 20 clients with a fairly striaght-forward save set.  I want to
leverage VSS rather than Open File Manager... something that is installed
right now.  How would you recommend I perform the install/recovery in an
isolated test environment?  I don't have a spare server or SCSI cards
available.  I was going to make a ghost image of the server and then wipe
everything out and go from there.  I want to document as much of the
previous configuration information as possible... is there a plain text
file that details the configuration?

I recently took on this job, the last person left in the middle of
configuration.  When he left some other people came in on a short-term
basis and made more changes to the system.  I have no documentation..
seems like wiping everything out and building from brick one might be the
best opporunity to make sure there is nothing wrong with the
configuration.  If I continue to experience these issues, I can contact
EMC to resolve them knowing that the install is clean.

type