Networker

Re: [Networker] Can you "scanner" a SDLT tape in a SDLT-600 library?

2008-08-11 15:32:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can you "scanner" a SDLT tape in a SDLT-600 library?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 15:29:11 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
08/11/2008 03:13:35 PM:

> When a volume is entered into the media database, it's assigned its
> volume type solely based on the drive type that was used to label it (or
> scan it).
>
> > I don't want to redefine my SDLT-600 drives .. I need them read/write
as
> > SDLT-600.
>
> Are you perhaps assuming that how the drive is defined within NetWorker
> has any bearing on how much data will fit on the tape,

No.

> or what "mode" the drive will write it?

No.

All I wanted was to save a little time. I assumed that NW assigned a
volume type based on .. .wait for it .. the type of volume. :-) i.e., a
SDLT-320 tape, regardless of whether I use it in a SDLT-320 drive, or a
SDLT-600 drive, or anything else. I just want to be able to be upward
compatible on reads (i.e., I'm not completely stupid; I don't want to
write on a SDLT-320 tape that's in a SDLT-600 drive. But I *should* be
able to read it, *without* NW then locking me forever into using that tape
ONLY in a SDLT-600 drive (which may or may not be available), instead of
any drive that is compatible with reading that tape type.

> Regarding the other issue you're having, I have to ask: did support
> recommend you install a fresh NetWorker server on different hardware?

Yes.

> If so, did they recommend you preserve the client ids?

No.

> If EMC support
> steered you in that direction but didn't warn you about the issues you
> would have with restoring from old tapes if you didn't preserve client
> ids, then you should be yelling at them.

I've got a call in now about this; big surprise, no one is available. Not
the tech who didn't tell me to copy client IDs, nor the tech who told me
that I needed to rename the server and mmrecov so I could read old tapes,
nor the person who told me all I needed to do was "scanner -m" create a
client with the newly re-discovered clientid; "scanner -i" again.

Ever read Stephen King's short story, "The Mist"? When they speak of
expiation by blood? :-) I'm kinda at that point ....