Networker

Re: [Networker] Can you "scanner" a SDLT tape in a SDLT-600 library?

2008-08-11 14:17:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can you "scanner" a SDLT tape in a SDLT-600 library?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:11:29 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Can you "scanner" a SDLT tape in a SDLT-600...:

EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
08/11/2008 01:02:28 PM:

I'm wondering .. if I have a SDLT-320 tape, can I load it into a
SDLT-600
library, and run say "scanner -m" or "scanner -i" on it? It shiould
work,
I think , since I am not writing to the tape.

Apparently not .. it complained that that it knew the tape was an
SDLT-320, and it was in an SDLT-600 drive, and so wouldn't "scanner -i"
(because it already existed in the media database).

<SIGH>

Suggestions?

Delete it from the media database.  But then when you run scanner, it
will mark the tape as the same type as your sdlt 600 drive is configured
as.  Or you could redefine one of your SDLT-600 drives to be the type
that matches the type your other SDLT-320 drives are defined as.

The reason it's complaining is that the tape already exists in the media
database, with a volume type of e.g. sdlt320.  You're trying to scan it
on a drive that is defined within NetWorker as some other type, e.g.
sdlt600.  NetWorker is trying to add the volume to the database but it
can't since there's already a volume there with a different type.

Tim
edu