Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.4 SP2 - How to start over

2008-08-11 10:11:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.4 SP2 - How to start over
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 08:17:58 -0500
Hello,
You need to provide more info, i.e OS Platform, Networker configuration,
backup cycles and the problem you are having, if you want to start over,
you need to consider the time & timing it would take to be operational
again, since you are new to Networker i would suggest practicing install
and recovery under  isolated test environment and build a recovery doc\go
over DR Guide.
I would also suggest you break down your current issues and re-install
desire in separate procedures, if you change the name of the server you
may have to obtain the licences again ( Need to call EMC).
How confident are you that if you rebuild the OS and reinstall Legato the
problem will be solved, when emc themshelf have not been successful, have
you tried escalating the issue within EMC ?
HTH

JGillTech <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
08/10/2008 04:00 PM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Networker 7.4 SP2 - How to start over

I recently inherited a NetWorker infrastructure connected to a 40-slot
tape library.  The initial setup was done approximately 4-5 months ago...
and I have been having a lot of weird errors and other issues.  The
technicians from EMC have made so many changes at this point, and things
are still not working properly.  I am thinking about clearing the slate.
However, I do have backup data on 6-7 tapes.  I want to do a reinstall of
the NetWorker Server software and reconfigure the system.  I have new
tapes to replace the old ones... I am thinking about just taking those out
and putting them aside.  I will be changing a few client names and the
name of the NetWorker server itself.  What is the procedure for taking
down a NetWorker server, while allow for the off chance that I may need to
recover from the old tapes?  Is there some information I should be taking
down prior to the reinstall?  Should I consider a complete reformat and
build the OS again?

|This was sent by Jonathan.Gill AT uconn DOT edu via Backup Central.

type