Networker

Re: [Networker] Problems renaming NW 7.4.2 server in Windows

2008-08-08 15:55:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problems renaming NW 7.4.2 server in Windows
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:52:24 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
08/08/2008 03:35:00 PM:

> In regard to: Re: [Networker] Problems renaming NW 7.4.2 server in
> Windows,...:
>
> > Here's what I am having VAST amounts of trouble understanding ... why
> > can't I rename this server back to the old name; run a mmrecov on the
> > bootstrap tape made by the last server, and have it all Just Work?
Tech
> > Support is telling me it won't work, because the new server will have
> > different client ID than the old server.
>
> I'm wondering if perhaps there's a bit of miscommunication somewhere.

I sure hope so!

> mmrecov will certainly work to get a networker server back, to the exact
> point it was at when the bootstrap you're using was taken.  Unless the
> procedure has changed since the last time I had to do it, you don't need
> to know much of anything about the old server.  Knowing the bootstrap id
> and what tape it's on is about it.

I thought so. I have that info - I did a "scanner -B" on the old bootstrap
tape.

> However, if I've followed other emails you've sent in the past couple
> days correctly, your current server also has 2+ weeks of backup data on
> it.  If you mmrecov back to a bootrap from several weeks ago, your
> NetWorker server is going to "forget" about all backups that have taken
> place since then.  It doesn't merge (that I know of) the old data with
> the new, because it's meant to be used in a situation where there is no
> new data.

I'll live with that. I'd rather have hassles restoring from tapes made in
that 3 week period, than with any tape made in the last 18 months ....

> Is it possible that what tech support is telling you is that you could
> indeed get your old data back, at the expense of losing information
about
> the backups that have been done in the past couple weeks?

I know, and accept, that if I need to recover something that was made
inthe last 3 weeks will be problematic.

> > So how in hades does a D/R recovery work, then?
>
> Pretty well and fairly easily, in the few times I've had to do it. After
> you bring the old config back, especially if you're on new hardware (or
> a new OS) you may have to adjust a few things (device paths) and if your
> host id or host name changed you may need to relicense, but other than
> that, there's not much to it.

Right; I need to rename this new server to the old server name. Once I do
that, the old licenses should just come back. If not, I will get EMC to
re-host them to this new host ID.

> > If my building had burned
> > down, you mean to tell me I'd have to know that 24 digit client ID,
> > *before* I could install NetWorker on the replacement hardware and run
> > mmrecov? Seriously! That doesn't seem right to me; shouldn't the
mmrecov
> > just overwrite everything, and get back all my old clients and their
> > client IDs?
>
> It does.
>
> IIRC, you were having tremendous problems with your previous install.
> Why would you want to run mmrecov, and risk bringing those problems
back?
> What is it that you need from the previous incarnation?

What I need is the old mm database. I tried to do a restore from a tape
made like 6 months ago. The "scanner -m" told me the client name existed,
so it was renaming the client to ~client. Then, I couldn't find out how to
do the restore from that renamed client - it doesn't show up in the server
client list, it doesn't show up as a source to restore from, etc.

Wanna know what would be ideal for me? If the new server had all the old
client IDs, so that when I did a "scanner -m", it would just add the tape
into the mm database. I'd live with even that. If I had the old client
IDs, I could delete all my current clients, re-install them with the
proper client IDs, and go.

Maybe if I do a mmrecov from the old database, I can print the client IDs
out. Then I can do rename the server back to the name it has today, do an
mmrecov on it's bootstrap, delete all the clients, re-install with the old
client IDs. Would THAT work?