Networker

Re: [Networker] Quality of the tapes

2008-08-05 18:22:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Quality of the tapes
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 08:11:51 +1000
The answer here is pretty simple actually.

Sdlt320 tapes all store exactly 160gb after compression. The 320gb figure
quoted is based on an average compression ratio of 2:1.

Sdlt hardware compression is usually about 2:1 but it can however result in
'negative' compression if the data you send to the drive is already compressed.
So when you see tapes storing between about 120gb or more there is likely
nothing wrong with your tapes.

Bad tapes show up with write errors in the daemon.log and get marked full as
soon as an error is seen. However most of the time the errors are caused by
dirty drive heads and it doesn't hurt to let the tapes get recycled and see if
the write errors persist. I keep a log of write errors separately and if a tape
catches my eye as being full but with only 1 or 2 gig I look for its history.

I would advise you to replace your sdlt drives. This technology is getting too
old now.

LTO3 or 4 is in my experience so much better than sdlt and due to volume sales
the tapes are better value for money by far.