Networker

Re: [Networker] solaris to linux migration

2008-07-30 11:13:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] solaris to linux migration
From: David Gold-news <dave2 AT CAMBRIDGECOMPUTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:10:54 -0400
Hi George,

See below for replies.

Dave

Date:    Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:18:56 -0400
From:    George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
Subject: Re: solaris to linux migration

David Gold-news wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> It works, you have to use mmrecov to move the res and mm over, but it
> isn't officially supported, as you ...
...snip...
> offline mode--nsradmin -d /nsr/res/nsrdb, when networker is shut down)
> to fix the difference in notifications between Solaris and Linux.

Thanks, Dave. What are the differences in notifications?

DG: Mostly paths. But since you can't modify the core notifications with networker running, you have to do it with it turned off.

> Licensing will go into grace mode for 15 days, so just make sure the
> original box is shut down, or at least networker is first.
 ...snip...
> just follow the normal steps on "how to replace a networker server with
> a new box, using the same hostname as the original one".

We're using an /etc/stinit.def file currently, but that's only on our
Linux snodes since they have the tape libraries. There are no tape
devices on the Solaris primary server. I guess that will all stay the
same then.

Using the same host name as the original seems to be the recommended
approach. I've heard it eliminates a lot of headaches. Would be easier,
though, from a logistics perspective to use a different host name, but
that might create a lot of additional work on the backup side to change
everything, I'm sure.

DG: Particularly related to client authentication--nsr/res/servers file on the clients.

DG: Before you migrate, note down the server name as specified within networker. If, after you install networker on the new box (but pre-mmrecov), the hostname isn't exactly the same, modify the /etc/hosts file and try again. If the name isn't exactly the same, you'll run into some problems. For instance, our name was the short name on the old server, but the first entry in the hosts file was the long name; we changed it, reran the mmrecov, and it worked fine after that.

We did this once before when we moved from an old Solaris box to our
current Solaris server, and we kept the same host name, but we had to
play the game where we shut down the old server, bring up the new, test
everything during the day and then swap everything back before sundown
so we could run the nightly backups on the old box. This went on for a
week or so before we finally made the permanent switch. At no time could
the two servers be up simultaneously as they both had the same host
names. Kind of a pain, but otherwise, the only solution was to use a new
host name, and again, I suspect that would make life hard for NetWorker
and me as well.

DG: There is a tech bulletin about renaming and also, I think, about migrating to a new box. Good idea to test things out.

DG: After the migration is done, just rename the old box ("networkerold"), and disable the init script, so networker doesn't come up. I find it useful to keep the old as a reference, even if it just means using nsradmin in offline mode (nsradmin -d /nsr/res/nsrdb)

George