Networker

[Networker] NFS share as file device

2008-07-29 16:07:29
Subject: [Networker] NFS share as file device
From: Eugene Vilensky <evilensky AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:04:14 -0500
Hello,

Some changes have taken place in our environment that leave me with a
free 23TB NAS.  I currently have a 7.2.2 single server running RHEL3,
backing up about 180 clients across Windows 2000/2003, Linux, and
HPUX.  I want to use the NAS exclusively for disk staging, trouble is
it only supports iSCSI and NFS (and SMB...).

Assuming all things are equal on the NAS, can anyone comment on
whether iSCSI or NFS is the way to go?  I'm inclined to go NFS simply
because the iSCSI-initiator may not be as mature as the NFS
implementation in RHEL3, but I have no proof of that.  How does NFS as
a file device perform, in generally?  We've seen good raw numbers out
of the NAS device, my biggest worry is that the backup server is
getting long in the tooth and won't be able to keep up with both
incoming data streams and writing to NAS...then back to tape...through
multiple firewalls...with no jumbo frames...on the public cross-town
WAN...you can see where I'm going here...but the current disk stages
are Apple Xserver Raid, which I can't imagine getting any slower..

Thanks for any advice.

--
Eugene Vilensky
evilensky AT gmail DOT com