Networker

Re: [Networker] Barcode labels - Questions!!

2008-07-21 16:03:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] Barcode labels - Questions!!
From: Rodney Rutherford <RRutherford AT PEABODYENERGY DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:59:24 -0500
The only thing special I do with labels is to specify the year (yy) as
part of the number sequence.
That way I can tell at a glance how old a piece of media is, as well as
how much media was purchased
 (and a ballpark figure on what was actually used) each year.  For
example, I have media barcoded as follows:

        B060001
        B070001
        B080001

We typically purchase the media in lots of 200, and request the labels
with them.  So the first batch are
B080001-B080200, the next batch is ordered as B080201-B080400, etc.  Come
January, that batch would
start with B09001, etc.

That gives us 9999 pieces of media to use, and considering that we average
about 700 per year (new pieces
of media), that leaves plenty of room to grow.

Rodney

EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
07/21/2008 12:14:05 PM:

> We have been using pre-printed barcode labels for several years now and
> I wouldn't want to go back.  The only issue was when the library's
> barcode reader went on the fritz and had to be replaced.
>
> What we did was buy a series of 600 labels and define ranges of them for
> specific pools.  We have 4 pools we use, Backup, Backup Clone, Backup
> Special (for month end and other archival backups) & Backup Special
> Clone.  So tapes XXX000-XXX099 are for the Backup pool, 100-199 are for
> Backup Clone, etc.  That way it's easy to tell what pool the tape is in
> by looking at the label.  I do manually label the tapes to keep them in
> order but that takes about 20 minutes of my time once a week.
>
> It works for us.
>
> Dave Werth
> Garmin AT, Inc.
> Salem, Oregon

E-mail Disclaimer:
The information contained in this e-mail, and in any accompanying
documents, may constitute confidential and/or legally privileged
information.  The information is intended only for use by the
designated recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient (or
responsible for the delivery of the message to the intended
recipient), you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying, or other use of, or taking of any action
in reliance on this e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this email communication in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete the message from your system.