Networker

Re: [Networker] Barcode labels - Questions!!

2008-07-21 13:20:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] Barcode labels - Questions!!
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:14:05 -0700
We have been using pre-printed barcode labels for several years now and
I wouldn't want to go back.  The only issue was when the library's
barcode reader went on the fritz and had to be replaced.

What we did was buy a series of 600 labels and define ranges of them for
specific pools.  We have 4 pools we use, Backup, Backup Clone, Backup
Special (for month end and other archival backups) & Backup Special
Clone.  So tapes XXX000-XXX099 are for the Backup pool, 100-199 are for
Backup Clone, etc.  That way it's easy to tell what pool the tape is in
by looking at the label.  I do manually label the tapes to keep them in
order but that takes about 20 minutes of my time once a week.

It works for us.

Dave Werth
Garmin AT, Inc.
Salem, Oregon