Networker

Re: [Networker] Barcode labels - Questions!!

2008-07-21 11:27:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Barcode labels - Questions!!
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:23:22 +0100
Lancy Quadros wrote:

1. Is it good to buy pre-printed barcode labels or buy a printer?

That depends on whether you regard yourself as a backup system administrator or as a tape monkey ;-) (at times in my career I have wondered this about myself). If you can buy pre-printed labels or better still buy the tapes pre-labelled, why go through the hassle of printing and sticking hundreds or thousands of labels?

2. We currently have different label templates to identify the different
backups. For example Database backups are labeled as 'BK_PROD_DB.nnn'
and OS backups are labeled as 'BK_PROD_OS.nnn'. Are there ways in
Networker to maintain similar templates while using barcode labels for
example: for OS backups could be O123456 and database backups could be
P123456?

What benefit do you get from doing this? Does it help you find tapes to restore? I would have thought that as you still need to refer to NetWorker to say exactly what tapes are required then there is not much point in trying to associate physical tape labels with their contents. Will your system of templates scale as your backup environment expands in complexity?

I find it best to just forget about pools and tape contents, and just go with a meaningless series of barcodes. The exception is where you have multiple backup servers or multiple sites off-siting to a common storage facility, then it becomes useful to have barcodes that somehow associate the tape with a backup server or site.

3. Advantages/disadvantages using barcode labels in general.

Try it - you won't go back.

4. Any known issues using barcode labels with Networker.

No. Probably a lot more issues around NOT using barcode labels with NetWorker. The vast majority of NetWorker sites use barcodes, and for a big environment I can't imagine not having them.