Networker

[Networker] Barcode labels - Questions!!

2008-07-18 17:36:49
Subject: [Networker] Barcode labels - Questions!!
From: Lancy Quadros <Lancy.Quadros AT ROTARY DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 16:34:27 -0500
We have traditionally been manually labeling our tapes. I want to
eliminate the manual process of peeling the label included with the
tape, handwrite the text according to the label template created in
Networker and then load the tape into the library.

I am looking at using barcode labels. Having no experience using barcode
labels, I would very much appreciate if the group can comment/provide
input on the following:

1. Is it good to buy pre-printed barcode labels or buy a printer?
2. We currently have different label templates to identify the different
backups. For example Database backups are labeled as 'BK_PROD_DB.nnn'
and OS backups are labeled as 'BK_PROD_OS.nnn'. Are there ways in
Networker to maintain similar templates while using barcode labels for
example: for OS backups could be O123456 and database backups could be
P123456?
3. Advantages/disadvantages using barcode labels in general.
4. Any known issues using barcode labels with Networker.

Thanks in advance!

Lancy