Networker

[Networker] An oddball NDMP cloning question

2008-07-16 13:58:38
Subject: [Networker] An oddball NDMP cloning question
From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks AT VT DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:55:53 -0400
Currently, I have a NetApp 3050 with a locally attached IBM 60-slot jukebox,
and we do NDMP to the local juke onto LTO1 tapes for most of the volumes. We
know how to do that.  Note well - due to scheduling window issues combined
with hardware idiosyncracies (the jukebox has to go offline to load/unload
tapes, and we have enough data that we can't fit a backup tape and a clone
tape in the juke at the same time), we do *not* currently have clones.

We've been backing up a few volumes with NDMP over the network to our SL8500 tp
LTO3 drives attached to our main Networker server, and right after I hit "send"
I'm going to switch the rest over.   We know how to do that too.

The problem:  I have a pool of several thousand LTO1 tapes that contain NDMP
done on the NetApp jukebox, and we want to clone/migrate/whatever these tapes
onto LTO3 in the SL8500 (preferably into its own pool), and then clone it.
Bonus points if somebody knows how to make this happen into an 'Archive'
pool, as I have to retain the data essentially forever...

We have *no* idea how to do that.  Any suggestions?