Networker

[Networker] How to implement retention policy (monthly archive)

2008-07-09 10:51:22
Subject: [Networker] How to implement retention policy (monthly archive)
From: Jim Allison <jim.allison AT ASURION DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 10:49:21 -0400
Hi all,

I'm looking for input on how to implement the following policy: 60 day
retention standard, but monthly backups retain for 7years. We run a weekly
full with incremental backups typically. I know one option is to create two
client definitions for each client and use separate groups/pools. That
method still leaves the problem of how not to run the normal weekly when the
monthly archive needs to run. Any ideas on how to implement this cleanly
without a largely manual process? I played with creating a custom schedule,
but networker keeps trying to anticipate what I am trying to do and moving
the day of the full. I run on windows (unfortunately) and have thought of
using an AT job to disable the normal groups and enable the archive groups
once a month. I have also thought of just cloning the end of month weeklys
and sending those offsite.
We are running 7.4.2 on Windows 2003 server.
Thanks,
Jim Allison
Sr. Analyst
Data Storage Support