Networker

[Networker] Disc Backup Tier licensing

2008-06-30 06:50:06
Subject: [Networker] Disc Backup Tier licensing
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 06:44:18 -0400
Thanks for the heads-up.  I don't feel so bad now.  :)  The US Sun Store only
sells Tiers 2 & 3 on their site BTW.

Avamar - It's not integrated to the level I'd prefer.  I'd like *existing*
Storage Nodes to have de-dupe capability added when using an adv_file device
(make it an enabled option like DBO if needed).  This should not be too hard,
in theory (yes, i understand the reality could be different, but it'd be nice
to have that in writing).  We're not interested in spending another ungodly sum
on more disk (we have 60+ TB of adv_file in production, all of it on one B280
RAID unit), plus I understand you cannot clone from a de-dupe node yet.  Two
big strikes as far as we're concerned, and I haven't discussed the Avamar
license yet (sounds about as bad as AlphaStor).

To me, EMC's priority would be to merge AlphaStor's tape management into NMC
since you're halfway there anyway.  But my view is of course skewed by the
necessity of SAS/SOX as well as the nature of most of my data being impossible
to de-dupe (pre-compressed Sybase and SQL Server dumps).

--TSK