Networker

[Networker] One command line contest?

2008-06-30 04:31:25
Subject: [Networker] One command line contest?
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 04:29:44 -0400
Our most valuable one-liner is indirectly beneficial to Networker, since we
backup Sybase through database dumps to disk.  It's also not a networker
command:

dump database foo to "compress::5::/db_dump/foo_dump1"
go

This will compress the database output file at 5:1 ratio, which is guaranteed
better than the 2:1 claimed for real-time compression on a tape.  My best
compression ratio was about 11:1 on a DLT tape, but that was text logs staged
from an adv_file disk device.

Pretty much everything else I have are proprietary scripts (written in C Shell)
or are heavily based on how AlphaStor works (including AlphaStor direct DB
queries as I'm not using 3.1 yet).

Stories?  Lots of them, just about all of which I can't talk about due to an
ethics contract I've signed for multiple years now.

One thing I *can* talk about is the hell that's BSC-RJE over SunOS and Solaris.

I have here on my desk a Sparc-2 that ran 4.1.3_U1 (patched for Y2K) and an
additional kernel compile known as SunSolve BSC-RJE (This was a Sun product - I
still have the install book someplace, its dated 1985!).  It was the *only* box
that would talk RJE correctly to mainframes that still had 4800 baud modems
(for those 'old-timers' here dealing with the Financial Sector, this should not
be a surprise ;) ).

We initially had a working replacement solution using Solaris, an Aura-3000
serial box, and Cleo's 3780Plus software (talking through SYNCCable+ units to
Courier V.Everything modems).  Unfortunately, the *only* baud the vaulted V.E
modem could not do is 4800.  *sigh*

As I was initially hired in this company to manage (and later maintain software
for) this Sparc-2, there were running bets if the server would outlast me.
Thankfully, it didn't.  :P  But I have it on my desk as a trophy.  Pictures
available on request (I've been meaning to mention it on the weblog anyway).

Of course, this could have been much worse.  Brixton SNA or X.25 anyone?
*shudder*  There's also the little matter of the BladeStore disk array which
put much of my personal life (and that of the poor STK SE) on hold for two
years;  I don't talk much about that since the FlexStore replacement has made
up for that (mostly).

--TSK

PS - I see Eddie is a B5 fan.  OT, I'm a one-in-a-while B5-ACTA minis player,
which among other things included participating in a sponsored re-creation of
the battle of Corianis 3 (using a ginormous battle mat - the DexCon
convention's Arena Mat).  I got 3rd place (playing the Vree) as well as
supplying a nice notebook (Sager 8890) to play the battle from the appropriate
Season 4 episode.