Networker

[Networker] VSS failed to initialize for directives

2008-06-27 02:57:27
Subject: [Networker] VSS failed to initialize for directives
From: "Voetelink D." <voetelink AT ECN DOT NL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:54:16 +0200
Hi,

Last week I upgraded our networker server to 7.4sp2, and after that (most of) our clients too.

I changed all windows 2003 systems to use the new VSS save sets, but I have 2 systems on which this fails with the following errors:

* nrgpad2.nrgnet.intra:C:\ 1 retry attempted
* nrgpad2.nrgnet.intra:C:\ ERROR: VSS failed to initialize for directives, error=0x800704d0: The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.
* nrgpad2.nrgnet.intra:C:\
* nrgpad2.nrgnet.intra:C:\ 7154:save: Unable to set up VSS filesystem directives. Failed to back up C:\.
* nrgpad2.nrgnet.intra:VSS SYSTEM BOOT:\ 1 retry attempted
* nrgpad2.nrgnet.intra:VSS SYSTEM BOOT:\ VSS SYSTEM BOOT: ERROR: VSS failed to add comps in pre save, writer=FRS Writer, error=0x800704d0: The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.
* nrgpad2.nrgnet.intra:VSS SYSTEM BOOT:\
* nrgpad2.nrgnet.intra:VSS SYSTEM BOOT:\ 39078:save: RPC error: RPC cannot encode arguments
* nrgpad2.nrgnet.intra:VSS SYSTEM BOOT:\
* nrgpad2.nrgnet.intra:VSS SYSTEM BOOT:\ 7162:save: save of VSS SYSTEM BOOT:\ to ecnfds.ad.intra failed

Both systems are w2k3 sp2 domain controllers with DNS and DFS. Other identical systems for another domain run without any problems.

The C: drive is a physical disk in the system, so I don't understand what the message

I couldn't find anything about these messages anywhere.

'The network location cannot be reached' is about....

Anyone got any pointers?

Dennis

D. Voetelink
UNIX Systems Administrator

Energy research Centre of the Netherlands
Facilities Department - Automation Services

Petten, Netherlands

e-mail : voetelink AT ecn DOT nl
phone  : (+31) 224 564738