Networker

[Networker] Persistent Binding Issue (again)

2008-06-26 11:26:24
Subject: [Networker] Persistent Binding Issue (again)
From: "Goslin, Paul" <pgoslin AT CINCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:18:52 -0400
Sorry, forgot to paste in the reg files on initial post...

We had an incident yesterday following the reboot of our Networker
Server with the monthly MS patches where we could not control the tape
drives and Networker was confused as to which tape drive was which (the
persistent binding thorn in our sides). We opened cases with both EMC
and Dell (server/library vendor). The tape drivers even affected how
long Windows took to come up, or specifically the Networker Server
service was hanging on coming up which Windows was waiting on to finish
coming fully up. Turns out our resource database had also somehow gotten
corrupted. EMC was extremely helpful in getting us going again since it
was really more of a Networker issue than a Dell issue.. They had us
install the IBM tape drivers instead of the Dell drivers (I feel that
IBM (not DELL) is best qualified to supply the drivers since they are
IBM branded drives). EMC pointed us to a solution (esg92364), but it
appears to be out of date since IBM updated their driver package to now
use two different installation programs...

 I was wondering if anyone on the list could shed some light on which
registry file we should apply following the installation of the IBM
tape/changer drivers... Below are the contents of the 4 registry files
that come in the ZIP package downloaded from IBM, the readme.txt file
that comes with it does not make any mention of the reg files or which
one does what. The KB solution (esg92364) should also be updated to
specify which install program to run (install_exclusive.exe or
install_nonexclusive.exe) that now comes in the ZIP package from IBM
with the tape drivers.

Regards,

Paul
--
/"\
\ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN

------------
File: DisableCPF.reg
-----------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ibmcgbs2k3]
"FailoverDisabled"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ibmcg2k3]
"FailoverDisabled"=dword:00000001

File: EnableCPF.reg
----------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ibmcgbs2k3]
"FailoverDisabled"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ibmcg2k3]
"FailoverDisabled"=-

File: DisableDPF.reg
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ibmtpbs2k3]
"FailoverDisabled"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ibmtp2k3]
"FailoverDisabled"=dword:00000001

File: EnableDPF.reg