Networker

Re: [Networker] Sanity Check: Restore to Windows Cluster Resource

2008-06-20 12:28:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Sanity Check: Restore to Windows Cluster Resource
From: Geoff Duke <Geoffrey.Duke AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:22:52 -0400
On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:00:11 -0400, MIchael Leone
<Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV> wrote:

>EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
>06/06/2008 05:35:32 AM:
>
>> Geoffrey Duke wrote:
>>
>> > What I would like to be able to do is to run the recovery on either
>node,
>> > selecting the cluster resource client as both the source and
>destination.
>
>My understanding is that you shouldn't specify the cluster resource client
>(i.e., the "virtual client"), you need to specify the physical node that
>the client is hosted on (if we're talking about Windows; I haven't been
>following this thread). For example, you wouldn't install NetWorker onto
>the cluster resource client; you would install it on each physical node of
>the cluster.
>
>(in Windows, the "cluster resource client" or what I usually refer to as
>the "virtual client", is actually just an alias to whatever physical node
>is hosting the cluster resource client)

You are correct, that the cluster resource is a set or services and
resources that are defined and mounted on one member of a set of physical
nodes. However, you can define a Networker Client that is specific to a
cluster resource.

This has a number of advantages over just backing up the physical nodes.
One of the most obvious is that you don't have to know which node the
resource was mounted on at the time of the backup that you wish to
restore. Instead, you can specify the cluster resource client as the
source. And this works if you run the restore on the node one which the
resource is currently mounted. It would be extra convenient if the
destination could be the cluster resource client as well.

The bigger annoyance to me is that EMC is unable to describe how the
permissions granted by the "remote access all clients" privilege differ
from those granted by the remote access control in a client definition.

Specifically, the administrator of a client system should not also have to
be a Backup System administrator.

--Geoff