Networker

Re: [Networker] savegrp -O

2008-06-13 13:03:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] savegrp -O
From: Bruce Breidall <Bruce.Breidall AT CONCUR DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:56:28 -0700
Sorry to beat this to a pulp, but I have a follow up question.

If it serves no purpose backing up the NW server after the SGO backup,
then would it not make sense to insert the SGO backup right before the
clone step?

That way, I automatically get a clone of the SGO, and it would be way
easier to implement. I wonder if it would make sense to keep track of
the savesets created from the SGO backup?

My other thought was that the media database is updated again after the
final ejection step, and that would not be reflected at the DR site.
However, I imagine when the day comes to test our DR procedures, I will
find out that one of the first things I will do is a fresh inventory and
things will resolve themselves. This is when you have an opportunity to
prove and fine tune these things, as you all know.

So, the steps might be as follows:
1) run backups (possibly remove group index backups, but probably won't)
2) run SGO backup - indexes and bootstrap.
3) run clone script
4) eject clone tapes, generate report
5) ftp bootstrap offsite
6) generate recall/picklist

Thanks in advance for helping me confirm these ideas. Any further
comments are greatly appreciated.