Networker

[Networker] Some larger file system backups failing

2008-06-10 13:45:42
Subject: [Networker] Some larger file system backups failing
From: "Clark, Patti" <clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:28:00 -0400
RHEL4 x86_64 host, v7.3.3 32-bit Networker server, Quantum M2500 library
w/LTO-2 drives.  Affected clients are a mix of Solaris and RHEL4 all
v7.3.3.

My full backups ran over the weekend.  I had 4 or 5 clients fail to back
up some of their larger file systems, anywhere between 14GB and 190GB in
size.  I've been making manual attempts at the specific file systems
with some successes and the rest continuing to fail.  One example is
35GB of data, the backup streams just fine, seemingly reaches the end,
and instead of closing the saveset and writing the index, networker
indicates in the server daemon.log that it had "lost connection to
server, exiting".  It will make the 2nd attempt allowed by the
configuration and basically repeat with the same results.  I've
restarted networker on both the server and the particular clients
without any improvement.  Last night all of the incrementals ran
successfully.  I've had similar issues in the past with Win clients, but
I received a patched nsrexecd from EMC which resolved that problem.

I don't see where tweaking anything on Networker short of breaking up
the file systems into multiple savesets will help >:-P.  It is not
really timing out and firewalls are not involved - I have nics on each
subnet and no storage nodes.  <sigh>

I hesitate to upgrade to another version since the discussions here
haven't sold me on going to 7.4, yet.  Any ideas?  Is 7.4 worth going to
or am I just trading one set of networker blues for another (different
is not better).

Patti Clark
Sr. Unix System Administrator - RHCT, GSEC
Office of Scientific and Technical Information