Networker

[Networker] Parallelism of "backup clone" pool devices?

2008-05-27 14:38:35
Subject: [Networker] Parallelism of "backup clone" pool devices?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 14:36:06 -0400
I know I'm missing something simple here ... I have a number of jobs that
are clone jobs. So I have a tape library with 4 drives, all of which are
defined as devices for a media pool that is a "backup clone" pool.

I've noticed that it seems that each backup clone job will wait until
there is a free tape drive, before writing. For example: I have JOB 1, 2,
3, 4, 5 - all are clone jobs, defined to use AFTD disk devices. Assuming
that all finish writing to the AFTD devices at approximately the same
time, JOB 1,2,3,4 will each use one of the 4 tape drives to write to, and
JOB 5 will wait until a running job finishes, before writing to the tape.
This is *not* the case with my other library, which has 4 drives, all
defined as part of a media pool that is *not* a backup pool. Consequently,
all 5 of those jobs will write to the 4 tape drives at once - i.e., one of
those jobs will be servicing 2 groups at once.

What setting am I missing, in order for my backup clone tape drives to
service multiple sessions/jobs at once? I have "Max Parallelism" set on
the library to 4. Where else would I look? Or can a device that is in a
"backup clone" media pool not be used by multiple sessions/groups at one
time?

Thanks

--
Michael Leone