Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker and Data Domain

2008-05-08 18:42:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker and Data Domain
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 17:33:52 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Networker and Data Domain, Curtis Preston...:

It happens all the time.  Usually vendors are smart enough not to reply
to the list.  (In this case, the vendor tells me it was an accident that
he replied to the list.)  As long as the vendor doesn't lie and
misrepresent themselves as a user, or makes "unwelcome advances" to the
user, I don't have an issue with it.

I would define "unwelcome advances" as anything beyond replying to the
person's email, such as calling them.  If I asked a question and you're
a vendor, and you just reply to my email and say, "hey, I've got a
different idea from a competing vendor.  If you want to hear about it,
call me."  But if you grab my phone number from my signature and call me
20 times, well, that's a different story.

What about spamming them?  I get unsolicited email relating to backups,
backup-related software, backup-related hardware, etc. and I'm pretty
certain the vendor has obtained my email address via this list.

These days, when I sign up for something and provide an email address, I
generally use a one-use address, so I know how a spammer got access to the
address.  When I signed up for this mailing list originally I used my
direct address because SPAM basically didn't exist, so it's too late for
that here.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)