Networker

Re: [Networker] Restore script

2008-05-06 10:01:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Restore script
From: John Stoffel <john.stoffel AT TAEC.TOSHIBA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 09:58:17 -0400

Preston> On 05/05/2008, at 11:07 PM, John Stoffel wrote:
Tim> In regard to: [Networker] Restore script, Rod Pudwell said (at
>> 8:36pm on...:
>>
Tim> Look at the man page for recover, and pay particular attention to
Tim> the -a flag and probably also the -d flag.  For automated
Tim> recovery, -q and -u may also be interesting.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be simpler to pick a random saveset on the nights backups
>> and then attempt to just clone it to another tape?  This should verify
>> the saveset and that you've got a good backup.

Preston> It's important to note that using nsrclone to clone your
Preston> backups DOES NOT check that your backups are good. This
Preston> checks to ensure that your original backup media is good, and
Preston> can be read back from. It doesn't guarantee that the data
Preston> that was backed up is usable in a recovery scenario.

That is true.  But I feel that it's a simpler step to implement than
an arbitrary restore of a file, esp on a Windows box.  On Unix I'd use
an expect script to run a restore if need be.

Preston> There's two key styles of tests in this scenario: media
Preston> testing and functional testing. nsrclone is a very good media
Preston> test utility in this scenario (as is, for that matter,
Preston> scanner). True functional testing however is only going to be
Preston> achieved through actually recovering and confirming that the
Preston> data is usable.

Sure, that's a good distinction to make.  Thanks!

John