Networker

Re: [Networker] Library status changes from 'ready' to 'needs attention' when opening the library but does not change back to 'ready' after closing the library

2008-04-30 09:31:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Library status changes from 'ready' to 'needs attention' when opening the library but does not change back to 'ready' after closing the library
From: "Goslin, Paul" <pgoslin AT CINCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:25:48 -0400
In case anybody cares... CAP means Cartridge Access Port, sometimes also
referred to in library terminology as 'mail-slots'... I agree with Fazil, it's
always best to use the available CAP to eject / import tapes from / into the
library... We are lucky to have a library with 12 mail-slots, which works well
for us since we normally only need to eject / add about 6 tapes a day during
the week... But for weekends, we load it up with 18 available tapes which can
take two passes with the 12 available mail slots... But it's not that much of a
hindrance.. Our library does not seem to lose it's state when we open the door,
but it does take it 5 to 7 minutes of re-scanning before it comes back online
after the door is re-closed. I've only had to open the front door as a 'last
resort' to manually eject tapes from drives a few times....