Networker

Re: [Networker] NSRADMIN wild cards

2008-04-29 22:38:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] NSRADMIN wild cards
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:34:54 +1000

When we discussed this on the list sometime about a year ago - most of
us were pretty surprised it existed at as a feature in nsradmin too.

I've just had a comparitive look at the various versions of manpages for
nsradmin just to be sure, I even found a 6.1.3 client to check and it's
there in the manpage.

In 7.2.2 and earlier the man page says this in the COMMANDS section:
------------
          1) The resource must match all the given attributes.

          2) If more than one value is specified the resource can
          match any one of the values.

          3) Values in a query may be in the form of ed(1)  style
          regular  expressions.   A  pattern  match  is attempted
          against all resources that contain the specified attri-
          bute.

          4) If an attribute  is  specified  with  no  value  the
          resource must contain an attribute of that name.
-------------

In 7.3.x versions - a little shorter...
-------------
          1) The resource must match all the given attributes.

          2) If more than one value is specified the resource can
          match any one of the values.

          3) If an attribute  is  specified  with  no  value  the
          resource must contain an attribute of that name.
-------------

In 7.4.2 - the manpage section is the same as for 7.3 - but elsewhere
  they've slipped a single sentence in to mention the regexp option:

nsradmin> option

Display options:
        Dynamic: Off;
        Hidden: Off;
        Raw I18N: Off;
        Resource ID: Off;
        Regexp: Off;
nsradmin>

In fairness to EMC developers - it's obvious they're working hard these
days to only add features in a controlled fashion rather than slipping
old undocumented features back in, a couple more years of this and we'll
have what we should have had 5 years ago, a fully documented API instead
of everybody having to graft their code on to weird cli commands and
parseing randomly formatted logs and reports.

One hopes whoever did all that carnage when they spawned 7.3 probably
got taken into the stairwell for a good firehosing.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright
material of Macquarie Group Limited or third parties. If you are not the
intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store
or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all
copies of them. Macquarie Group Limited does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's
own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Group Limited.