Networker

Re: [Networker] writing to tape

2008-04-29 21:11:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] writing to tape
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:08:11 +1000
Ok -    not enough detail to see what your issue is - eg how much data
does it fit on each tape? Do you use drive hardware compression? How
fast is your network?   How good is your storage node? Scsi or FC?

But in general...    LTO1 compression doesn't cope well with encrypted
data - so your data is probably transferred to the drive at no more than
the tape raw write speed. Maybe less than that even.

The raw speed on LTO1 is 20MB/sec, the raw capacity is 100GB, so best
performance for uncompressible data is 2 hours to fill a tape, you could
have network and/or bus bandwidth issues and you could also be
shoe-shining you drives by not delivering data to it fast enough..

If you must encrypt then try and find a way that compresses before
encrypting, or do it in one process...   And no, before you ask, you
can't make the networker client do both compression and encryption of
data.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright
material of Macquarie Group Limited or third parties. If you are not the
intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store
or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all
copies of them. Macquarie Group Limited does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's
own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Group Limited.