Networker

Re: [Networker] Request for a MySQL backup module

2008-04-29 20:30:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Request for a MySQL backup module
From: Dmitri Joukovski <joukovski AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:26:26 -0700
Thanks Siobhan for bringing public attention to one of my many
failures to improve NetWorker:-) The reason why NW does not have a
module for MySQL is that MySQL does not have an online backup API like
Oracle has. It means that backup software such as Zmanda Recovery
Manager for MySQL has to use LVM, ZFS, VxFS, VSS, or hardware
snapshots in combination with MySQL binary logs for making hot backup
of MySQL. Backup images are written to disk so NetWorker can make a
tape copy of MySQL backup images.

Regards
Dmitri Joukovski
Zmanda, Inc. Open Source Backup and Recovery
http://www.zmanda.com/backup-mysql.html