Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Mac Intel support

2008-04-25 03:10:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Mac Intel support
From: Attila Mester <Attila.Mester AT SUN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:05:57 +0200
Yes, Tim is right. In EBS, only the SOLARIS packages and patches are rebranded. The Linux, Windows, HP, AIX and other software bundles on the EBS DVD still all say EMC NetWorker, but all interact identically. This means, if you identify a newer client package on the EMC site, you should be able to use it. Reminder: since 7.4.1 NetWorker licensing doesn´t require ClientPaks, you have just heterogenious client connection licenses. This also means, you can take the ClientPaks out of software maintenance and save some money in the future!

regards  -attila

Attila Mester                           5 Digit Sun internal: x62534
Data Protection Architect                  Tel: (+49 89) 46 008 2534
Sun Microsystems GmbH                      Fax: (+49 89) 46 008 2583
Sonnenallee 1                                Mobil: +49 172 812 5947
85551 Heimstetten / Germany              mail: attila.mester AT sun DOT com

tkimball schrieb:
As far as I know, Sun only releases patches for the Solaris-side EBS re-brand
(at least that's how I've dealt with it historically).

As Sun's patch and release notes increasingly reference PowerLink (and the
second EBS software DVD is just the stock EMC one), you can probably just grab
it from there.  I use various EMC-downloaded client installs all the time with
my EBS server and he's perfectly happy.

If you don't have a PowerLink account, open a case with Sun Support to
determine what's needed to get the update (I'm no help there unfortunately,
since my account was through AlphaStor).  If Curtis' wiki is no help on this
front either, I'd suggest updating it too once you've found out.

--TSK

[On a side note, I have to sit back and praise Sun for having the EBS Solaris
7.4.2 patches available within a week of the EMC release.  As I posted
elsewhere, that process normally took a month or two which stifled our
QA/testing process.]

Timothy S. Kimball, Sungard/BRASS

Rey Andrada wrote:
All replies are much appreciated, unfortunately we are using Sun's EBS and their download site still has the old 7.4 version. Any idea how I can get the
7.4.2 client for Mac intel ?

thanks,
Rey