Networker

Re: [Networker] VSS on Windows

2008-04-23 04:16:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] VSS on Windows
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:13:58 +0100
James Pratt wrote:

Sorry, I'm still fairly new to NW, so this may be a dumb question, but
does anyone know if there are any additional licensing issues/things to
be aware of moving forward on this VSS stuff with 2008 server? Does
EMC/NW require any special license for VSS etc ?

So, I've found this thread kind of confusing and unclear - maybe it's
just me as I don't know much of windoze VSS yet, I don't know..

I am not sure either exactly what VSS is or how it works, again because I am a Unix bod and am a bit reluctant to get into Windows concepts such as VSS and AD.

However there is a new NetWorker module called something like NetWorker module for Microsoft applications - and this does require a licence. This is touted as a replacement for all the other Microsoft modules such as SQL and Exchange, although if VSS is basically an Open File Manager then I don't see how it can make a consistent backup of a database.

If it is just an OFM, then it looks to be a solution to a long standing problem that other OSes don't have. (Has anyone got a copy of QEMM for Vista BTW? ;-) )

Or is it more than an OFM and more of a snapshot tool? Even if it provides snapshotting it would still require a way of properly quiesceing any databases before backing them up.

So - I am still as confused as I was at the start of this thread. Perhaps it is because I have an underlying unwillingness to understand Windows. I have been hoping for many years that Windows would just go away but I suspect I may be a little optimistic about this.

This is a really fantastic mailing list - I just want to say thanks to
all, as just by "lurking" here the past few months I have learned a
great deal of stuff, and I'm *VERY* happy to see no bickering, fighting,
or flaming whatsoever, which makes things much more comfortable and
easier to ask questions. (Let's face it google often makes stuff more
confusing , especially when it comes to this networker beast! ;)

Strangely Google seems to know virtually nothing about NetWorker. This list and its archives are by far the best resource on NetWorker. There is also a Tek-Tips group for NetWorker but I find that to be more of a newbie resource, whereas this list is suited to all levels from newbie to expert.