Networker

Re: [Networker] VSS on Windows

2008-04-22 20:32:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] VSS on Windows
From: James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:18:19 -0400

Windows
> Server 2008, and later.
>
> . Both NetWorker Client and NMM ("NetWorker Module for Microsoft
> Applications" -- previously known as VSS Client) support VSS
> mechanisms.
> NMM uses VSS exclusively for protecting the OS and applications, while
> NetWorker Client allows you to turn off VSS if the client OS version
> allows.

Sorry, I'm still fairly new to NW, so this may be a dumb question, but
does anyone know if there are any additional licensing issues/things to
be aware of moving forward on this VSS stuff with 2008 server? Does
EMC/NW require any special license for VSS etc ? Can I backup a 2008
client now using 7.4.3/win32 using VSS with my "regular nw windows
client licenses"? (sorry again,,, im more of a linux-guy. :\

So, I've found this thread kind of confusing and unclear - maybe it's
just me as I don't know much of windoze VSS yet, I don't know.. If not,
Can someone really break this one down into one final post for the
archive that makes sense? ..

This is a really fantastic mailing list - I just want to say thanks to
all, as just by "lurking" here the past few months I have learned a
great deal of stuff, and I'm *VERY* happy to see no bickering, fighting,
or flaming whatsoever, which makes things much more comfortable and
easier to ask questions. (Let's face it google often makes stuff more
confusing , especially when it comes to this networker beast! ;)

Thank you,
Best regards,
jamie